Courtesy of Bert Webb’s rather good productivity blog Open Loops comes a brilliant use for one of the gmail hacks that I mentioned a little while back.
- I met with my supervisor and discussed the Key Areas of Responsibility (KAR) that would form the foundation of my evaluation at year’s end.
- I then exploited the “+” feature in Gmail addressing and created a contact in my contact list named “Yay”, with the address being email@example.com.
- I created a label entitled, “Yay”.
- I then created a filter that looked for the firstname.lastname@example.org address on incoming mail and configured it to send it directly to the archive, tag the incoming email with the “Yay” label, and then send a copy to my supervisor’s email address.
- Finally, my supervisor, who is not a tech savvy as I am, allowed me to create an Outlook rule in her Outlook that looked for my incoming “Yay” emails and stored them in a folder entitled “Webb”. If your supervisor won’t allow you to create a folder, make them do it by sending them the emails anyway. Worst-case scenario is that they may want no help in building documentation for evaluations and will direct you to stop. In that case, adjust your Gmail filter to stop forwarding the emails to the boss, but continue to send them to your archive and labeling them. You will still have your stash of “Yays” sitting in your Gmail archive with which to measure the accuracy of your evaluation.
Now, of course this relies on your mail software/server actually accepting ‘+’ symbols within email addresses (not all do), but if you can use the ‘+’ symbol then go for it!
Says Bert wisely,
“With this method, I’m helping my supervisor build a portfolio of artifacts that she can call on when she begins her evaluation process with me. It doesn’t bother me that I’m sending only good things to her. Supervisors have no problem finding negative things to address, but they seldom are “on the lookout” for the positive things. It’s often said that it takes only one, “Oh, Shit,” to wipe out a thousand “Attaboys”. I’m just making sure there’s enough “Attaboys” in my account to cover me should I find myself in the middle of an “Oh, Shit” day.”
Currently listening to: Gare Du Nord – In Search Of Excellounge – Dark Chill