Celia Heffernan, the
Online Content Producer at
the NSW Dept of Education and Training, recently asked me to write an article about virtual worlds for inclusion in a technology guide for parents.
The guide has now been published and I’m very flattered to see my article in there alongside material from my colleague Ross Monaghan.
Within its pages there is fabulous material, including a great refresher for even old hands like myself on the terms we use and what they mean. Sometimes we forget that not everyone knows what a blog is, or a tag. Doh!
It’s not just about internet technology, either; Ross wrote a great piece on mobile phones and kids, ‘Mobile Safety’.
The guide is entitled Click and you can download the full magazine or specific articles:
Download Click magazine (pdf 1.7mb)
Download specific articles
- Minister’s foreword (pdf 88kb)
- A love of learning (pdf 106kb)
- The A to Z of technology (pdf 169kb)
- Staying safe online (pdf 100kb)
- Homework and the internet (pdf 224kb)
- Mobile safety (pdf 110kb)
- Second life for parents & Virtual worlds (pdf 94kb)
- Get in the game (pdf 122kb)
- Sending cyberbullies into space (pdf 98kb)
- Stranger danger (pdf 117kb)
- Tuned in and logged on (pdf 98kb)
- Netiquette (pdf 72kb)
- Mum and Dad’s guide to buying a computer (pdf 202kb)
- Connecting to the Internet (pdf 109kb)
- Fast Forward (pdf 105kb)
- Kids TV hits rural NSW (pdf 110kb)
- What’s hot in schools (pdf 121kb)
- Laptops chart pecking order (pdf 122kb)
- Online resources (pdf 142kb)