Loads of folks have contacted me, asking how they can help out those affected by the Victorian bushfires.
Here’s a list of what’s going on amongst my own circle of friends — more to be updated as they come in:
- Ruby’s cafe in Stirling are taking donations when you buy the best coffee and coeliac-friendly food in the Adelaide Hills (imho)
- Glenn Murray at DivineWrite is donating all sales of his absolutely superb Search Engine Optimisation book SEO Secrets – but you’ve only got until midnight of Friday 13th Feb Eastern Standard Time (Australia) to get in and pick up this belter of a book and at the same time help the Victorians
- The very fine crew at Sitepoint are giving away five of their brilliant web coding books for the price of just one — again, you’ve only got until Friday 13th to grab this amazing bargain! Thanks, too, to Darren Rowse (the ultimate problogger) for working with Sitepoint to get this together.
- Angie Haggstrom is amazingly donating ALL of the proceeds from any coaching or consultation sessions booked with her from now until further notice directly to the Australian Red Cross, Salvation Army, and CFA.
- Cottage Comforts are donating between 50 and 100% of sales from 12-28 Feb to the Australian Red Cross. Home fragrances, bath and body products and candles – all homemade with pride, from their cottage to you. In addition, Cottage Comforts Wholesale are giving 15% of all sales taken between 12-28 Feb to the Australian Red Cross.
- Perfect Vision Laser Correction in the Sydney CBD are donating an entire day’s worth of procedures! The staff — yes, the surgeons and everyone — are insisting that the biggest revenue day in March will go entirely to the bushfire appeals. If you have EVER thought about having corrective laser surgery on your eyes, and you work or live in Sydney, NOW is the time to book! Whip over to Perfect Vision’s Facebook page and let them know you appreciate this incredible gesture!
- Jim Stewart and the crew at Stewart Media are running a special SEO workshop: "We’ve decided to run an SEO Workshop in Melbourne with all proceeds to go to the Red Cross bushfire appeal. It will cost $250 (usually $895) and will be on 12th March 2009. Book Here (we’ll bill you later)."
- Boomerang Books in Adelaide are giving 10% of their takings in February to the Red Cross Bushfire Appeal
Finally, I’m giving 100% of the proceeds from all of my own products to the RSPCA Bushfire Appeal for the entire month of February. Just click on any of the links below, purchase and ALL of the sale will go to the RSPCA in Victoria.
- Better Business Writing
- 5 day course
- 5 day course with homework marked by me
- Social Media in a flash set of cards
- You can donate to the Red Cross Bushfire appeal 1800 811 700 or in the UK, British Red Cross
- You can donate at Myers and at Bunnings.
- The Salvos have also launched a cash and donations appeal. For international donations, please go through http://www.salvationarmy.org and specify you want ‘Australian Bushfire Appeal’
- Vinnies have launched an appeal
- Telstra will be making a donation and additionally matching dollar for dollar employee contributions up to $250,000.
- Donations are sought for animals caught in the fires
- You can donate blood (urgently needed ) 13 14 95 to make an appointment (update: please use web to register as phone lines overloaded – hat tip to Dani for the comment)
- Some major banks have now set up bank accounts for online donations
SHOP and BOP
- All Coles Supermarkets will be donating Friday 13th profits to the bushfire fund (I’m saving up my shopping until then!) PDF with info
- If you live in London you can attend a benefit event this Friday 13th
- @firstdogonthemoon is raising funds on eBay towards the bushfire fund
- Amazing offer from the crew at Sitepoint.com.au with all proceeds going to the bushfire fund– five web design and coding books for $29.95 (discounted from $149.75) thanks to them and Darren Rowse for organising
- The Melbourne Twestival will be taking donations at the door for bushfire victims.
- Incredibly, you can even purchase virtual goods in Secondlife with proceeds going to the bushfire appeal (hat tip to the Metaverse Journal)
- Some people are offering help (homes, paddocks etc) and you can too on or call 1800 006 468 . Some were leaving offers of help on an ABC blog (update: comments now closed) and now via http://forums.tradingpost.com.au/Topic2806-89-1.aspx @DebbieChang asks on Twitter if anyone could think about setting up a webby way to match offers of homes and people needing immediate accommodation (although I guess DHS might need to be involved??)
- Join the Vic Bushfires Causes group on Facebook
- Join the “Applaud the CFA heroes and empathis with the victims of the 09 Vic bushfires” Facebook Group
- via @vicpremier Anyone willing to volunteer time and skills should call the Bushfire Volunteer Hotline on 1300 366 356 or visit - http://tinyurl.com/b8vb2l
- Be prepared. Make sure your home is fire-safe and that you have a fire plan in place
- Leave a message of personal support and care http://victorianbushfires.com